Don't get me wrong...I love a good rain storm, the taste of pumpkin in everything, cozying up with family, and the idea of fun holiday's coming up. However, I also want to stay indoors, keep warm and dry, indulge in a bit more comfort foods, and be home by dark. So how do we keep focused, healthy, and in shape during this mind struggle? Here are some things that help me the most during this time of season. I am going to give a few examples so hopefully you can give one or all a shot.
1. Be mindful- In truth, we are all responsible for our attitude. A good attitude can go along ways when it comes to being healthy or making healthy choices.
2. Savor some of your favorite summertime favorite’s year around. I love to keep frozen berries on hand year around. Berries always remind me of summer. If I indulge too much in the comforting taste of cinnamon, pumpkin and nutmeg, I tend to get lazy and frumpy.
3. Buddy up at least once a week or bi-weekly with a friend or spouse to go for a walk, jog, yoga class or other activity. As a family we sign up for fun holiday runs.
4. Keep your winter gear in your exercise box in plain sight. I keep items such as a running cap and gloves, protein snack, and visible clothing light. This way I don't have to search for it when I am running out the door to squeeze in a quick workout.
5. Pick a buddy to complete an exercise or nutrition challenge with. ( A weekly plank challenge, a walking goal or nutrition goal.)
6. Holiday's seem to always get the best of people when it comes to food, parties, and potlucks. Instead of trying NOT to focus on food, do just the opposite in a healthy way. Twisted Trek Athletics offers an "Open Pantry" event in the comfort of your own home with your close friends and family. The focus is on healthy meal prep, cooking alternatives; we prepare several recipes from breakfast to dessert that are designed around portion control, meeting the needs of personal cravings and proper prep and storage. Learn and indulge in healthy options that are seasonally fit while having fun at the same time. Make it a PARTY!
7. Try something new! Now is a great time to look up local events that you can do with friends or family.
8. Be the example. People will motivate you if you have positive energy and you just may help motivate others!
9. 30 minutes a day of exercise is ideal. Don't be afraid to include the kids. They too can feel the seasons change. Help them combat this by planning activites that keep them and YOU moving!
10. As always stay connected with Twisted Trek Athletics and other group members via Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.